A New Club is Formed
In the spring of 1989, Hull and East Riding RUFC merged with Ionians RUFC to form Hull Ionians RUFC with the new club taking Riding’s league status in Division North One. The 28% of the Riding membership who voted against the merger reformed the club as Hull & East Riding RUFC (1989) and were given membership of Yorkshire Division Six, the bottom tier of Yorkshire county rugby union. Just before season 1989-90 began, Mr. Peter Lovell MBE, the new Riding President, was interviewed by the Hull Daily Mail and he expressed the wish that in the fullness of time Riding, or their successors, would regain their status in North One and hopefully progress into the National leagues.
Hull RUFC was formed on July 1st 1992 as a result of a merger between Old Hymerians RUFC and Hull & East Riding RUFC (1989). Old Hymerians was formed in 1925 while the Riding could trace their origins to 1901. The new club took over the tenancy of the Old Hymerians ground at Haworth Park and also their league status in North-East Division Two. The colours of the new club were to be red, black and gold, and the first club captain was Zimbabwean international fly-half David Walters. The first coach was former England international prop Paul Huntsman. The club was to run 6 senior sides, 2 veteran sides and an Under-21 side.